Author: Colleen Hoover
edition language: English
Genre: Young Adult, Romance
Series: Slammed #1
Next Book: Point of Retreat (Slammed #2)
Summary from Goodreads:
C. Reader's thoughts:Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.
- The twists of the book was timed unexpectedly that I never even thought of that kind of twist to this novel.
- Each characters were given time to grow throughout the novel. They have their own distinct characteristics that set them from one another.
- The romance builds up throughout the entire book and not immediately, giving the readers the time to digest the development of their feelings.
- The use of poetry in the book made it interesting as well. The insertion of poetry in certain scenes in the book helped the storyline as it helped the readers feel the emotions of the characters in the book.
- May not cater to all ages.
- Quite a cliffhanger (that's why there's a second book!)
Slammed is a book that will let you appreciate poetry. Being a person that really doesn't like poetry that much, Slammed made me appreciate it more. With its nicely-written plot, a lot will be able to relate to it, particularly teens. This book talks about the only thing that's stopping you from making the most out of your life, is yourself.
“Push your boundaries, that's what they're there for.”
“Life wants you to fight it. Learn how to make it your own. ”
“Life happens. Shit happens. And it happens a lot. To a lot of people.”