Saturday, July 21, 2012

Am I My Sister's Keeper?

:
     I've read this book many years ago but even until now, it is one of THE BOOKS that would truly stick not only in your mind but in your heart as well.

     SUMMARY
     Anna Fitzegarld's older sister Kate suffers from acute promyelocytic leukemia. Her parents bore Anna for the sake of her older sister; to be the donor of the latter. From Anna's conception until now, from her umbilical cord to her blood marrow, more is asked of her. In this book, she struggles to find out who she truly is and what is her role in this world. 

     WHAT I THOUGHT OF IT? 

     This book is really good in terms of plot and character. The characters feel so alive it is as if the story is a recounting of a true to life story and was not only inspired by it. You can feel the tension between each and every member of the family as they try to maintain the facade of a happy family and yet deep inside, they are already falling apart. In this book, current issues such as adolescence, drugs and the likes are presented. Yet even these things kept them from having a perfect relationship with one another, these flaws in fact are the ones that draw them closer to each other once they realized their faults and reconciled it. And yet, one unexpected event happens and from this, their family realizes how life can change in an instant.

    The character I really liked in this book is Anna. You would truly feel the pressure on young Anna, a 13-year old girl, whose older sister Kate suffers from a rare form of leukemia which left her really sick and dependent on donors. Not even her parents nor her brother Jesse can donor for her, hence their parents, Sara and Brian decided to conceive a "designer baby" that would solve the problem of who would donor for Kate. Thus, Anna was born. When Anna started to think of what her role is in this world, she keeps on seeing Kate as she knows that that is her role: to be Kate's donor. However, Anna has had enough. Anna decided to be medically emancipated because this time, her kidney is the one being requested of her. I really like her character because for a 13-year old, Anna is really strong. She also loves her sister very much that even until the end of the book, what she has done is requested by Kate. At a young age, Anna is left with such a big responsibility because without  her, Kate would die. She decided to come to a lawyer, Campbell, in order to help her with her case. By the end of the story, one good thing happens to Anna but one incident will change their lives forever.
a scene from the movie (left: Anna, Kate, Brian)

     When I first read this, I was really set to finish it because of the medical terms I see that are present in most chapters. Since I am an avid fan of all things related to medicine, I decided to continue on reading it. As I keep on reading it, I feel pity for both sisters and a little bit of annoyance with the mother. Progressing further, I started to get why the mother acted that way, how the brother came to be like that and how the father can sometimes be uncertain. When I finished reading this book, all I could do was cry. Even as I read it over and over, my tears would spill every single time I finish it. Since I do not cry easily when it comes to books or movies, this book gripped my heart so much. I give it a 5/5 since not all books can touch the heart. There is a film adaptation of this book if you want to check it out although for me, the book is better. .If you're experiencing family problems, this book would open your mind and heart that sometimes, you just need to support each other, get past the flaws of each member and love each other for who they are.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated as long as you don't curse the author whatsoever. :)